Skip to Content Navigation
image description
The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.

Kindergarten and Nursery Registration 2018

Many Winnipeg School Division schools are holding open houses in the coming months, and parents/guardians are encouraged to attend to see where their child will be going to school. You don’t have to wait for the open house to register, though — parents and guardians of children turning five years old before Dec. 31, 2018 can register their child in  Kindergarten at any time during the current school year.  Children turning four years old before Dec. 31, 2018 can be registered in Nursery at any time during the current school year as well. Registering early provides you with better options in selecting the morning or afternoon class that works for your scheduling.

To register, you must go in person to your child’s designated school. To find what school your child will be attending, depending on where you live, look at the list of schools in your catchment area using the find a school app. If you are interested in enrolling your child in Bilingual Language Programming, including French Immersion, please visit our language page for more information.

Remember to bring the following documents with you when registering for Nursery or Kindergarten:

  • Manitoba Medical card listing the child and parent(s) name or other medical card listing the child and parent(s) name from another province.
  • A copy of your property tax bill or rental/ lease agreement or an accepted "offer to purchase" document with the possession date shown.
  • Your child's birth certificate, baptismal certificate, certificate of live birth, statutory declaration, Canadian Passport or Treaty Card.
  • Legal guardians are required to provide a Court of Queen's Bench document signed by a judge.
  • Non-citizens are required to provide one of the following:
    • Landed Immigrant (permanent residence) documents
    • Work Visa
    • Study Visa
    • Refugee Status

Note: if you have none of the above but have made application for permanent residency, you are considered a visitor and therefore must pay and have health medical coverage.

Starting school is an exciting time in our lives and one to be celebrated with your child. Healthy Child Manitoba has produced a guide to help you, as parents/guardians, give your child the skills needed for Kindergarten. Check it out: Getting ready for school - a parent's guide

You can also get an overview explaining what your child is learning school at each grade level, and how you can get involved. Check it out: My Child in School

Winnipeg School Division is looking forward to welcoming you and your child to our family!​



Useful Links


Contact Us