The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Accessibility Plan Part 2 – Accessibility Plan A
A. STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
School Division is committed to moving toward equal access and
participation for people with disabilities. We are committed to treating
people with visible and invisible disabilities in ways that allow them
to maintain dignity and independence. We believe in inclusion. We are
committed to meeting the needs of people who face accessibility
barriers. We will do this by identifying, removing and preventing
barriers and by adhering to the requirements of the Accessibility for
Manitobans Act (AMA).
The Winnipeg School Division is committed to:
- Maintaining an Accessibility for Manitobans (AMA) Steering Committee
- Continuing the process of consulting with persons with disabilities
whenever practical, that Board policies, procedures and practices are
consistent with the principles of accessibility and inclusive/universal
design. The WSD Accessibility for Manitobans (AMA) Steering Committee
will provide input regarding accessibility issues, where appropriate,
with regard to new policies and procedures and to those under review;
access to facilities, policies, programs, and practices, services for
students, staff, parents/guardians, volunteers and members of the
community. Consideration of ongoing identification of barriers will be
the responsibility of the WSD Accessibility for Manitobans (AMA)
Steering Committee and will, whenever possible, be incorporated in the
WSD Accessibility Plan.
School Division has responded to the Accessibility for Manitobans Act
with a series of committees. The first WSD AMA Steering Committee
meeting occurred May 2016 with several meetings thereafter.
WSD AMA Steering Committee is chaired by Superintendent of Education
Services, Equity, Diversity, Inclusive Education. Members of the AMA
Steering Committee reflect a variety of senior administration from
various departments within the division.
The mandate of the
WSD AMA Steering Committee is to oversee and promote the division’s
compliance with the act and with each standard as released until the
plan is completed (projected 2023). In addition, the committee will help
implement parts of the Strategic Plan in particular providing
accessibility and reasonable accommodations for students and staff with
visible and invisible disabilities.
The committee must have regard for principles in carrying out its mandate including:
- Access: person’s should have barrier free access to places, events and other functions available to the community.
- Equality: persons should have barrier-free access equal opportunity and outcomes.
- Universal Design: assess should be provided that does not establish or perpetuate a person’s disability.
- Systemic Responsibility: prevent and remove barriers.
In addition, Winnipeg School Division has several committees that respond to various needs including accessibility:
- Arts Education Committee
- Career Education Committee
- Crisis Response Committee
- Curriculum and Implementation Committee
- Developing Safe School Committee
- EAL/Newcomer Committee
- Enrichment and Innovation Committee
- Human Rights Committee
- Inclusion Support Committee
- Inclusion across the Rainbow Subcommittee
- Indigenous Education Committee
- Library Committee
- Literacy Committee
- Mathematics Committee
- Mental Health Committee
- Physical Education and Healthy Lifestyles Committee
- School Resource Officers Committee
- Strength Based Learning Committee
- Student Support Services Committee
- Winnipeg School Division/Winnipeg Police Service Joint Committee
Part 2 Section B