The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Winnipeg School Division follows Manitoba Education assessment and instruction criteria. We believe assessment plays a major role in how students learn, their motivation to learn and how teachers teach.
The primary role of assessment is to enhance teaching and improve student learning.
Assessment is embedded in the learning process and is woven into the curriculum and instruction. WSD teachers and students work toward achievement of curriculum outcomes and assessment plays a constant role in informing instruction, guiding next steps and checking progress and achievement.
Many different processes and strategies for classroom assessment are used and adapted to suit the needs of individual students.
Research and experience show that student learning is best supported when:
- Instruction and assessment are based on clear learning goals.
- Instruction and assessment are differentiated according to student learning needs.
- Students are involved in the learning process (they understand the learning goal and the criteria for quality work, receive and use descriptive feedback, and take steps to adjust their performance).
- Assessment information is used to make decisions that support further learning.
- Parents are well informed about their child's learning and work with the school to help plan and provide support.
- Students, families and the general public have confidence in the system.
HOW CAN YOU HELP AS A PARENT?
Parents are childrens’ first teachers. They continue to play a very important role when a child is in school.
Three important roles for parents are:
Provincial Assessment ProgramsReporting To ParentsSpecial Language Credit Exams
- Know what your child is expected to learn and actively support those learning activities and experiences.
- Work as part of a team with your child’s teacher and the school staff involved with your child.
- Communicate information which is important to your child’s learning.
Grade 8 Common Exam Dates for 2016/2017
Exam Date - Tuesday, June 20 (AM), 2017
English Language Arts
Exam Dates - Tuesday, June 13 - Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Director of Instruction and Assessment:
1577 Wall Street East
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 2S5