The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
The Aboriginal Education & Newcomer Services department provides assistance to WSD administration and school staff in the development and implementation of initiatives to support Aboriginal education throughout Winnipeg School Division.
- Assessment of general system needs and specific needs of Aboriginal students and communities within the boundaries of Winnipeg School Division
- Development of the WSD plan for Aboriginal Academic Achievement
- Development of curriculum support materials
- Acting as a liaison with outside groups
- Assisting the Human Resources Department with the recruitment of staff, particularly those from ethnic and cultural minorities
- Coordinating professional development activities pertaining to Aboriginal education.
Each school is required to include Aboriginal Academic Achievement outcomes and strategies as part of the annual school plan.
The Aboriginal Education & Newcomer Services department includes:
- Two Aboriginal Education Consultants/Aboriginal Academic Achievement Support Teachers
- Four Aboriginal Education Support Teachers (one per District)
- One Aboriginal Cultural Advisor.
For information pertaining to specific Aboriginal education initiatives at your child’s school, please contact your child’s teacher or the school administrator(s).
Director of Aboriginal Education & Newcomer Services:
1577 Wall Street East
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 2S5