The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Providing ongoing learning for teachers in Winnipeg School Division
Permanent employees are
supported with a two-year induction program. Teachers are partnered with
experienced WSD educators who are also supported by PLLC as they mentor
PLLC will always
evolve and adapt to fit the dynamic realities of urban education. Based
on research into effective professional development and transformational
education, the five foundational principles below underpin the work of
The most lasting and most
transformational learning that teachers gain comes from their work with
students and other teachers. The Professional Learning and Leadership
Centre creates intentional learning partnerships. Each partnership uses
collaborative inquiry and reflection to guide each other’s practice.
Some of the factors considered in forming the partnerships include:
Teacher needs, interests and expertise
Grade levels being taught
Sending and receiving schools
Teacher leadership and service to the profession
Assessment for Learning
Assessment for Learning is a term that describes a whole host
of teaching and learning strategies which share the common goal of
engaging students in learning that is important, lasting and ongoing.
The Professional Learning and Leadership Centre provides learning
opportunities to share and promote assessment for learning practices.
The Professional Learning and
Leadership Centre advances a model of professional development that is
rooted in, nourished by, and responsible to the classroom context.
Release time is offered for teachers to investigate student learning in
classroom, school, and community contexts.
Effective schools see themselves as
essential to the development of their local community. In order to help
schools realize this vision, the Professional Learning and Leadership
Centre organizes and offers learning opportunities on aboriginal
education, community engagement, poverty reduction, equity and social
Effective teachers reflect on their
practice and make purposeful changes based on evidence they receive from
many sources. The Professional Learning and Leadership Centre provides
experience with action research techniques in order to support critical
reflection and change.
For more information about PLLC contact: email@example.com
Professional Learning and Leadership Centre (PLLC) is a concept, a
location, and a group of people engaged in learning and collaboration.
The Centre provides an induction experience that promotes effective teaching, student learning, and leadership development.
It creates networks that explore school improvement and enhanced student learning.
ultimate goal of the PLLC is to provide multiple pathways for learning
that inspire educators to become engaged agents of transformation for
students, schools, and communities.
Teacher Induction and Mentorship
Induction into a career in teaching in WSD involves:
- Recruitment and hiring of Early Service Teachers (EST)
- Orientation to the workplace
- Mentorship opportunities (both formal and informal) which
- involve orientation to the profession
- beyond the practicum or term teaching experience
- may be individual or group (community of practice)
- Opportunities for Advanced Skills Teachers (AST) or mentors to
- engage and learn with early service colleagues
Benefits for Educators
- Intentional learning partnerships and communities of experienced and new educators within WSD for two-year timeframe
- Training in action research that supports critical reflection and next steps
- Release time for teachers to investigate student learning in classroom, school, and community contexts
- Learning opportunities that support Indigenous education, community engagement, and social justice
- Sharing feedback to inform instruction and assessment
- Networking, professional learning opportunities, and resources
- Job-Embedded Learning
- Job-Embedded Learning involves:
- cycles of practitioner inquiry based on investigation of student experience
- collaborative planning and co-teaching
- classroom observations and debriefing
Key to Teacher Success