At Winnipeg School Division, one of our greatest priorities is ensuring that all our students arrive safely to school each and every day. As a part of our Safe Arrival process, a daily absence check is conducted by office staff and often involves:
- Checking phone messages left by parents regarding sick calls for students
- Phoning parents whose child is absent but no notification has been made to the school
- Recording all absences in the attendance system
This process can be inefficient and time consuming for schools and for parents.
To enhance our existing absence check procedure, Winnipeg School Division introduced a new, more efficient student absence or late arrival reporting system. This system reduces the time it takes to verify student attendance making it easier for you to report your child's absence and easier for staff to respond to unaccounted student absences.
SafeArrival will allow parents to report their child's absence quickly and conveniently in one of three ways:
- Using your mobile device, download and install the SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (or from the links at https://go.schoolmessenger.ca). The first time you use the app, select Sign Up to create your account. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
- Use the SafeArrival website, https://go.schoolmessenger.ca. The first time you use the website, select Sign Up to create your account. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
- Call the toll-free number 1-855-278-4513 to report an absence using the automated phone system.
The system will be available 24 hours/day, 7 days a week. Future absences can be reported at any time.
The automated notification system is already being used by most of our schools to contact parents who have not reported their child absent. The automated notification system will contact parents at multiple contact numbers until one of the designated contacts is reached.
By reporting your child absent in advance using SafeArrival, you will NOT receive a call.
If you require assistance using this system, please call the office to help you set up your account. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance to better ensure the safety of all our children.