The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Corydon School (built in 1950 and opened the following year) was named in
honour of Sir Isaac Brock, who led his troops in successfully defending Upper
Canada from American invaders in the Battle of 1812 at Queenston Heights on the
Niagara frontier. During the engagement, Brock was mortally wounded.
Sir Isaac Brock:
Sir Isaac Brock (1769 -
1812), soldier, was born in the island of Guernsey, on October 6, 1769, the
eighth son of John Brock and Elizabeth de Lisle. In 1785 he obtained a
commission, by purchase, in the 8th Regiment; and by 1797, at the age of 28, he
was lieutenant-colonel of the 49th Regiment. In 1799 - 1801 he saw service in
Holland and at Copenhagen; and in 1802 he was sent with his regiment to Canada.
Here he was stationed either at Quebec, at Niagara, or at York, until the
outbreak of the war of 1812. He was promoted colonel in 1805, and major-general
in 1811; and just before the outbreak of hostilities, in 1812, he was appointed
president and administrator of Upper Canada. In the early months of the war, he
was the heart and soul of the defence of Upper Canada. With brilliant audacity,
he captured Detroit on August 15, and on October 13, his troops defeated the
American invaders at Queenston Heights on the Niagara frontier. During the
engagement, Brock fell, mortally wounded, and died the same day.
Contractors: Couturs & Toupin
Contract: $217,082 (actual cost $229, 370)
Sod turned: April 11, 1950 by Campbell Haig
Opened: February, 1951
Cornerstone: September, 1950 by Mrs. E.R. Tennant
No. of rooms: 7 plus general purpose room Addition: April, 1953
Contractors: L.J. Gardiner Construction Co. Ltd.
Contract: $81,958 (actual cost $82,365)
No. of rooms: 5 including two kindergarten classrooms. Additions: 1991/1995
Predesigned classrooms added to south side of building. Addition: 1998
Portable classroom added at northeast corner of school.