The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Armistice Day, November 11, 1920 marked the opening of Champlain School. The school was named after Samuel de Champlain (1567 - 1635) French explorer, colonizer and first governor of French Canada, known as the “father of new France” (information from Encyclopedia Britannica).
In October 1920 the school opened and was constructed at a cost of $117,966 by contractor Thos. E. Sharpe. The school was situated down the street from St.John’s School on Machray Avenue. The school was a 2 storey red brick building containing 12 rooms. The school, when opened, accommodated the overflow from the Luxton and Ralph Brown Schools. Only 5 of the rooms were used for the first few months.
In October, 1922 the school’s enrolment numbered 508 with a staff of 12.
On June 13, 1991, a Farewell to Champlain School was held in the old building at 250 Machray Avenue. The school was later demolished; the new school was built on the south end of the same site. In September 1991 students of Champlain School began a new fall term in a new 42,818 sq.ft. building at 275 Church Avenue.