The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Bridges Middle Years
English Language Arts
- Guided Reading Groups - students will be involved in a variety of guided reading sessions that are at the students reading level. With teacher support the students learn to use various reading strategies, such as context clues, letter and sound relationships, and word structure. Some of the reading that the students will be involved in this year are reading and comprehending nonfiction text, text related to their Science and Social Studies units, memoirs, pamphlets and newspaper articles
- Silent Independent Reading – students will work on building stamina to read quietly at their desk for approximately 30 minutes
- Novel Studies – The Outsiders, Danny’s Run, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – the above novels will be read as a class and the students will be responsible to complete a variety of assignments.
- Writer’s Workshops – during this time the students will be introduced to a variety of writing forms and taught the necessary skills to write them. They will also be working on their revising and editing skills.
- Words Their Way Word Study Groups –students are given words to study in order to discover the common attributes. They are actively constructing their own knowledge of spelling patterns. Students learn spelling features by completing activities such as word sorting, word hunts, games and drawing and labeling. Students work individually, with partners, and in small groups to encourage cooperative learning and individual responsibility.
- September to Mid October – Math Assessment
- October to December – Number Sense
- January to February – Shape and Space
- March to April – Patterns and Relationships
- May to June – Statistics and Probability
Throughout the school year the students will work on improving their basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
- In addition to the above, mathematics and its study encourages the development of
- creative thinking
- logical thinking
- problem-solving skills
- data analysis skills
- co-operative interaction