The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Welcome! My name is Mrs. Linda Maddaford and I am very honored and excited to be teaching your child this year. During the school year we will cover the following topics in the different subject areas.
The program will cover the five general outcomes of English Language Arts through activities in listening, reading, writing, viewing and representing.
- Guided Reading – Students are divided into Guided Reading groups based on reading levels and abilities. Each group works with the teacher and practices fluency, word recognition, comprehension and word study.
- Silent Reading/Partner Reading/Listening to Reading
- Writer's Workshop – Students write everyday for a purpose and for an audience they understand. Students writing will represent a variety of genres such as book reviews, lists, journals, recipes, poetry, letter writing, posters, and personal writing.
- Editing – This includes writing conventions such as spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, paragraphing and legibility.
- Oral Presentations
- Word Study
- Goal Setting
The mathematics program is developed to provide students with opportunities to succeed, as well as enable them to connect with math in a positive way.
The four strands in mathematics are:
- Patterns and Relations
- Shapes and Space
- Statistics and Probability
- Connecting with Canadians
- Exploring the World
- Communities of the World
- Exploring an Ancient Society
- Growth and Changes in Plants
- Materials and Structures
- Forces that Attract or Repel
- Soils and the Environment
Health – Healthy Lifestyles
- Social and Emotional Well Being
- Healthy Decision Making and Conflict Resolution
- Nutrition and Physical Well Being
- Accessing Information/Research Skills
- Mathematic/Phonetic Games
- Internet Safety
Visual arts, music, dance, and drama will be integrated with other subject areas. Students will also be working with Ms. Kaethler on special projects.