The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
DUFFERIN SCHOOL HISTORY
The first Dufferin School was built in 1883. It was a two room school west of Main on Patrick Street. In 1887, a free Kindergarten Association began operating Kindergartens in classrooms rented from the school board for $1.00 per month. An interesting feature of the old school was its water supply came from a flowing well on the corner of the street where a pump was installed. The school was heated by wood stoves which were placed in each classroom.
By 1896 the school population had increased so much a new school was built on Logan, Alexander, Nares and Park Street which was part of the Dufferin park site. It was three storeys high, constructed of solid brick and cost $30,000. It had 10 rooms, an assembly hall and accommodated 540 students. There was a staff of 10 teachers including the principal, Miss M. E. Lamont.
In 1936 the school was badly damaged by fire and a new Dufferin was built. It was situated on the corner of Logan Avenue and Park Street. It had 13 rooms, 8 of these being classrooms. In 1967, as the school population expanded, a new addition was built onto the school.
The school was named after the Earl of Dufferin who was Governor General of Canada from 1872 - 1878.