schools georgev GeorgeV {BB009093-F411-E211-A92A-005056965EE9} 220
Skip to Content Navigation
The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.

George V History

CHC_WSD_George-V---0002dxo_sml.jpg
 

 
The cornerstone for École George V School was laid in August, 1915 and officially opened to 235 students in 1916.

George V School opened in 1916 after considerable debate among school board members and the committee on School Buildings and Sites. There was a concern about whether the building of another school was appropriate considering the country was at war and it was a time of great uncertainty. So there was reluctance to start any building operations if it could possibly be avoided and at the same time the attendance at the schools had largely increased, due, among other causes, to the number of pupils enrolling, who, under ordinary conditions, would have sought employment.

After the matter was considered in every aspect, it was decided to recommend to the Board that a seven class-roomed building, to be named the “George V School ,” be erected on the site bounded by Chalmers, Grey and Union Streets, to serve the northeast portion of Elmwood.

Since then, George V has undergone numerous changes. There have been two additions to the original building and "Building # 2" was built in 1951 to accommodate a growing population of more than 700. It was closed in 1980 and was re-opened in 1989 with a link way joining the two buildings. In fact, the entire school was closed due to structural difficulties in 1978, but thanks to community involvement and support was repaired and reopened in 1979.

Today, École George V School boasts of a population of 300 students. Both English and French Immersion programs are thriving in the schools beautiful sunlit halls. We also house a divisional ABC program and a Special Education Centre. École George V School has a dynamic history of which we can all be proud.

Prepared August, 1992 - Updated 2010 - George V School opened in 1916 after considerable debate among school board members and the committee on School Buildings and Sites. There was a concern about whether the building of another school was appropriate considering the country was at war and it was a time of great uncertainty. So there was reluctance to start any building operations if it could possibly be avoided and at the same time the attendance at the schools had largely increased, due, among other causes, to the number of pupils enrolling, who, under ordinary conditions, would have sought employment. After the matter was considered in every aspect, it was decided to recommend to the Board that a seven class-roomed building, to be named the “George V School,” be erected on the site bounded by Chalmers, Grey and Union Streets, to serve the northeast portion of Elmwood.

The school was named after King George V, who ascended to the throne in 1910 for a 26-year reign. The cornerstone of the George V School was laid with appropriate ceremony by Mr. F.S. Harstone, Trustee for Ward 3, on August 27th. Dr. T. Glen Hamilton, Trustee for Ward 7, in which the school was located, presided, and addresses were given by the Honourable T.H. Johnson, Minister of Public works for the province and former Trustee and by Mrs. J.K. Brown, Trustee for Ward 7, the first lady to be elected a Trustee for the Winnipeg Public School Board.

The school was constructed in 1915 as a three level seven classroom facility. An addition in 1948 provided seven additional classrooms plus an auditorium. An addition in 1951 consisted of seven classrooms and a general purpose room in a separate single storey building constructed adjacent to the original school.

In 1978, structural problems caused the temporary closure of the original building. Studnets continued attending classes in building 2 while renovations took place. 1991 saw a link way built that joined both structures.

Construction

Built: 1915

• Official opening: February, 1916

• Cornerstone: August 27, 1915

• Contractor: Worswick Bros.

• Architect: J.B. Mitchell

• Contract: $50,000 (actual cost $50,032)

• No. of rooms: 7

Addition: 1948

• Official Opening: April 5, 1949

• Contractor: Fraser Macdonald

• Cost: $143,090

• No. of rooms: 7 plus auditorium

Addition: 1951 - George V No. 2

• Cornerstone: by S.M. Carrick, July 7, 1951

• Contractor: Peter Leitch Const.

• Contract: $132,853 (actual cost $137,153)

• No. of rooms: 7 plus general purpose room


 
share

Useful Links

Resources

Contact Us