schools laurasecord LauraSecord {C4009093-F411-E211-A92A-005056965EE9} 237
Skip to Content Navigation
The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.

The Lady

The Courage of Laura Secord  

Adventures began to come to little Laura Ingersoll when she was a baby. In 1775, her parents brought her to Canada when they were forced to flee from their home in Massachusetts, because they were United Empire Loyalists. In the same year, and for the same reason, the Secords also had to flee to Canada.
James Secord and Laura Ingersoll grew up, were married and went to live near Queenston.
Not long after, Sir Issac Brock called for recruits. James Secord was one of the first to volunteer. When Sir Issac Brock fell on the battle field at Queenston, it was to the Secord home that he was taken. On the same day, James Secord was badly wounded and would have died had it not been for his brave wife who found him on the battle field.
In the following weeks, the Americans gained a footing in Canada, and early in June of the year 1813, the Secords were forced to allow a number of Americans to be billeted at their house. One night Mrs. Secord overheard them making plans. She heard the words "Fitzgibbon" and "Beaver Dams". At once, she was filled with dismay. Beaver Dams was a Canadian outpost some twenty miles away and Lieutenant Fitzgibbon was the officer in charge. He had barely one hundred and fifty men behind him. At once she knew that she must warn him, as her husband was not yet strong enough to go so far.
The first streaks of morning light were hardly showing in the sky when she started her journey. She drove a cow before her as she went and when an American sentry asked her where she was going, she said she had a sick brother.
As soon as the sentry was out of sight she let the cow graze wherever it wanted and hurried on her way. But she was not able to go so fast for long. The trail led through swamps and at one place she crossed a stream by crawling over on a log. Hour after hour she pushed herself on. At night, she came up on a group of Indians. After she had controlled her fear, she begged them to take her to Lieutenant Fitzgibbon.
They did so and she gave her information at once. Messengers were quickly sent to Twelve Mile Creek to ask for assistance. In the morning, when the Americans made their attack, they found themselves surrounded by British soldiers and Indians, and were compelled to surrender.
Laura Secord lived for over fifty years after her journey. During that time, many people visited her in her home at Chippawa just to hear from her own lips the story of her great achievement. In the 1860, King Edward VII, who was then Prince of Wales, visited her, and later sent a gift of five hundred dollars.
When Laura Secord died, a monument was erected in her honour at Queenston Heights. On it these words were written: "This monument has been erected by the Government of Canada to Laura Ingersoll Secord, who saved her husband's life on the Heights on October 13, 1812 and who risked her own in conveying to Captain Fitzgibbon, information by which he won the battle of Beaver Dam, January 24, 1813."
Elaine Muir, Grade V, Room 8
Laura Lites, June 1957

Useful Links


Contact Us