The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
Prepared January, 1989 - Updated 2010
For years, the Board of the Winnipeg School Division had been renting classroom space in Riverview Church and Clifton Street Church. By 1908, enrolment had so increased that it was necessary to build a two-storey frame building, and on November 10, 1908 the four-room school was opened. The official ceremonies took place in January, 1909. Ten years later, the first addition to the school occured when an eight room brick cottage school was attached as a temporary measure to accommodate the increasing student population. In 1929, seven more rooms and an auditorium were added. Another four rooms were added in 1949.
The 1951 demolition of the school’s bungalow section made way for six more rooms the following year. Finally, in 1958, a new school with 18 classrooms replaced the old structure. Riverview School’s most recent addition, built in 1988, includes two kindergarten classes, a nursery area, gymnasium, a kitchen, nurse’s, staff and teachers’ work rooms, a new principal’s office and a storage area. Renovations to the existing building allowed the creation of a crafts room, child guidance interview room and opened a school entrance at the north side of the building. The old gymnasium was converted into a multipurpose room and the principal’s office into a resource room while part of the second floor was renovated to hold a large science area. An office and storage space were also added to the library. Cost of the 1988 construction to Riverview School was $1.1 million. In order to improve accessibility to all, an elevator was constructed in 2004 giving access to all 3 floors of the school. In 2006, a $100,000 play structure was completed along with a paved path and basketball court, giving improved accessibility to all students. On May 21, 2009, the school celebrated 100 years with a large complement of alumni students and staff.