The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
We believe the mission of École Riverview School is to create a positive
learning community which encourages creativity and enables individuals to become active, cooperative learners and responsible citizens.Philosophy
- Where possible, children should be grouped over 2 years with the same teacher
- Teaching should be child-centered, based on individual progress along the continuum of development
- Children and teachers should take active roles in the learning process
- Individual learning styles and strengths should be embraced
- Children should have the opportunity to guide their own learning and take
- responsibility for their learning
- The community plays an integral role in the child’s learning
- Children should be given opportunities for mentoring and leadership
- An atmosphere of collaboration enhances the sense of community
Using provincial curricular outcomes as a framework, best teaching practices will be implemented within an environment of collaboration, inquiry, and theme and activity-based learning, while developing children’s ability to self-assess and take responsibility for their learning.
- Insofar as possible, children will be grouped with one teacher over 2 years
- Balance among teacher-led, shared, and student led inquiry processes, while integrating curricular outcomes and content
- Teachers are facilitators of learning throughout the inquiry process
- Focus on integrating curricular subject areas into theme, experiential and activity–based learning through differentiated instruction and multiple intelligences
- Nurturing of the sense of community within the classroom, the school, and the larger community through celebrations, cross-groupings, community speakers, etc.
- Opportunities for mentorship, leadership, peer support and cooperative learning
- Fostering of an appreciation of the arts and their use as a vehicle for expression
- Atmosphere that values literacy and literature
- Assessment of and for learning to drive instruction and growth
- Active involvement of children and teachers in the assessment process to promote ownership of learning, intrinsic motivation and goal setting
- Parents encouraged to participate in their child’s learning and to support the learning community.
- Children become lifelong learners
- Sense of secure and comfortable environment given 2 year timeline with same teacher
- Uninterrupted continuum of learning over 2 years
- Less adjustment from year to year
- Home-school connection is enhanced to support learning
- Increased opportunities to lead and to follow, to collaborate and to make stable peer connections