The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
The Grade 1/2 Team
|Ms. Lenhardt Mair ||Ms. Miller ||Ms. Rodriques |
|Mr. Erichsen ||Ms. Lenhardt Mair |
Grade 1/2 has a great focus on English language arts (reading and writing) and math (primarily numeracy, counting, addition, subtraction, and problem solving). Students will work on these skills each day and science and social studies will be incorporated into daily learning.
Our classroom program fosters respect (for one another, for property, and for oneself), kindness, curiosity and joy. Students are encouraged to engage in their learning, including outside the classroom. School should be full of learning and fun!
At home you can support your child's learning by:
- Participating in home reading (please ensure books are returned)
- Practice identifying letter sounds and sight words with your child
- Writing with your child at home
- Practice counting, addition, subtraction, and problem solving with your child
- Helping your child be at school on time each day
Teachers are here to help and support your child. If you ever have any questions or concerns please talk to your child's teacher. They are always willing to help.
Program Summary – Topics covered include:
- Letter recognition and letter sound and sight word recognition
- Reading skills and strategies (to be practiced each day)
- Writing skills and strategies
- Counting in a variety of ways (i.e. 2's, 5's, 10's) to a variety of numbers
- Addition and subtraction skills and facts
- Problem solving skills
- Various science topics including seasons, changes in animals, and position and motion
- Various social studies topics including community and connecting with cultures
- Will include formal assessments such as the Fountas and Pinell reading assessment, the Winnipeg School Division writing pathway and math pathway early assessment program, and informal observation.