The source file is in the Intranet. Any change made to this page will be overwritten by the update from Intranet.
What is LAC?
The Learning Assistance Centres (LACs) and related programs are classes for student’s ages 5-21 years who have severe emotional or behavioural disorders (EBD). The programs provide small classroom settings with an intensive staff-student ratio and a behaviour support component, including preparation for general education placement.
What are the program components?
• an intensive, self-contained, structured, stable, caring and individualized learning environment
• an individual education plan (which addresses both academic and behavioural needs)
• a counselling/support component which includes:
o individual assessment and counselling
o close liaison with parents/guardians and community agencies/services
o family outreach and support
• behaviour management and social skills training
• re-integration preparation
• a coordinated team approach
In our LAC classroom we concentrate on academics as well as strategies to cope with anger and conflict. The main goal of LAC is to provide the students with strategies so they will be able to be integrated back into a regular classroom.