Carpathia HistoryFebruary 5, 2021
Carpathia School was named after the S.S. Carpathia, the rescue ship that heard the distress signals from the S.S. Titanic in 1912 and braved the icefield to come and help.
Carpathia School opened its doors in1953; 10 of its14 classrooms were designated for the children of the Fort Osborne Barracks, under an agreement with the federal government.
Built: 1953Contractors: Peter Leitch Construction Ltd.
Contract: $215,084 (actual cost $230,592)Cost per room: $13,085
Sod turned: July 13, 1953Cornerstone: July 30, 1953 by H.B. Parker
Opened: November 12, 1953No. of rooms: 14 plus general purpose room
Addition: September, 1955
Contractors: Peter Leitch Construction Ltd.Contract: $49,960Auditors: $51,101
No. of rooms: 6Conversion to gas: 1961
Large gym added 1979