Indigenous Graduation CoachNovember 22, 2023
Grant Park High School is one of 10 high schools in the Winnipeg School Division fortunate enough to have an Indigenous Graduation Support Teacher (IGST). This unique position supports both staff and students in strengthening relationships with Indigenous students and their families so that our community of learners can thrive. Exploring best practices of assessment and embedding Indigenous perspectives into curriculum are some of the ways we aim to achieve student success and continued staff education.
The main focus for the IGST is to increase accessible resources for our Indigenous students and achieve increased Indigenous graduation rates.
The IGST will support students in various ways throughout their high school experience. Included in this support:
- providing a safe space to receive supports academically or emotional
- providing extra-curricular opportunities to earn extra credit
- providing opportunities to explore cultural activities including daily smudge
- connecting student with tutoring opportunities
- connecting with parent(s)/guardian(s) to discuss school progress or concerns
- assisting with transitions into post - secondary and/or work force
- supporting the non-Indigenous Grant Park High School student/staff/communities learning about Truth and Reconciliation
- encouraging engagement in the Indigenous Caregiver Community meetings monthly
To learn more about the program or discuss your child's involvement, please contact the school at 204-452-3112 or email our IGST Tavia Nelson firstname.lastname@example.org
IGST Google Classroom code: 72wl6p3