Inkster HistoryOctober 4, 2021
Prepared August, 1992 - Updated 2010 - Constructed in 1948 with eight classrooms and a gymnasium. A 1952 addition provided four additional classrooms. Portable classrooms were added in 1964 and 1997. Afour room expansion in 1999 included life skills area, science lab and multipurpose room. The school celebrated its 50th anniversary in June 2000.
Colin Inkster - Inkster School, situated on Inkster Boulevard, bears the name of one of Manitoba’s oldest and most distinguished families. It was in 1818 that John Inkster with his wife Mary left the Orkeney Islands to find a new home in the Red River.
In 1851 John Inkster built a new home for his family on the west bank of the Red River. Nearby were the seven oak trees which marked the site of the Seven Oaks Massacre, 1816. Before the house was finished, the disastrous flood of 1852 covered the property with four feet of water. John sent his children to higher ground near Lilyfield, while he and his wife lived in the second storey until the flood waters receded. Today this fine old house on Rupertsland Avenue in West Kildonan is preserved as a museum. John Inkster and his wife Mary raised a family of four sons and five daughters. It was Colin, however, who was destined to become the best known member of the Inkster family. Colin Inkster was born on August 3, 1843. He attended St. Johns School. At sixteen he left school because he became seriously ill with brain fever and it was considered best for his health that he should work outdoors. So young Colin helped his father who was a merchant and free trader as well as a farmer. He looked after the freighting of goods by oxcart and wagon from St. Paul to Fort Garry.
In 1870, when Manitoba became a province, Colin was a member of the Upper House. At the age of 33, he was appointed High Sheriff of Manitoba and subsequently of the Eastern Judicial District of Manitoba. In 1928, at the age of eighty, Sheriff Inkster retired. The Attorney-General, the judges, and 200 members of the Law Society honoured him at a dinner at the Fort Garry Hotel. They presented him with a painting of himself done by Grand Maison. This picture now hangs in the Courthouse. Colin Inkster was Rector’s Warden of St. Johns Cathedral for over sixty years. He was a member of St. Johns College Council from its inception until his death. At one time he wished to resign because he couldn’t hear well. The Warden of St. Johns College persuaded him to stay on the council because he was the only member living, who had personally known the founder of the college, Archbishop Machray. Colin Inkster died of pneumonia on September 28, 1934 at the age of ninety-one. (Source: Grade 6 pupils of Inkster School who interviewed Miss Sybil Inkster)
• Sod Turning: June 18, 1948 by P. Taraska
• Cornerstone: October 28, 1948 by M. Averbach
• Opened: November 7, 1949
• Contractor: Malcom Construction
• Cost: $369,117
• Number of rooms: 7 plus auditorium
Addition: 1952 - 1953
• Contractor: Fraser Construction Co. Ltd.
• Contract: $49,288 (actual cost $50,763)
• Number of rooms: 4
• Portable moved from Robertson
• Portable classroom on westside of building
• Contractor: Westland Construction
• Architect: Wm. Schellenberg Architect
• Number of Rooms; four rooms including life skills area, science lab and