Bilingual Cree ProgramNovember 15, 2023
CREE BILINGUAL PROGRAM
The Winnipeg School Division is proud offer a Cree Bilingual Program exclusively at Isaac Brock School. Students may enter the program in Kindergarten or Grade 1.
The Kindergarten to Grade 6 Cree program centres around ancestral teachings of the Grandmother Moon and the thirteen moons she carries. The programs have a land-based component as this is an important part of language learning. Culturally, there is a strong connection to the land and all the life it encompasses. In the Kindergarten Program, students will be fully immersed in the Cree language. Grade 1 and up is bilingual with 50% of instruction in Cree and 50% in English.
All programs will follow Provincial Curricular Outcomes.
- Kindergarten to Grade 7
- 13 Moons on the Turtle's Back Linguistic Program
- Indigenous guide of our relationship to our Mother Earth
- In-School Lodge Ceremonial/Smudging Room
- Elder connections
- Suitable for children and families who do not speak Cree or who are fluent in the language
Bussing is provided for all who reside within the Winnipeg School Division Boundaries provided you live 1.6 km or further from the school - https://www.winnipegsd.ca/page/9266/find-a-school
Students in the Ojibwe and Cree programs who are bussed to the school are supervised in classrooms over the lunch hour at no additional cost.
How do I register my child?
- Manitoba Medical card listing the child and parent(s) name
- your child's birth certificate, certificate of live birth, Canadian passport or Treaty Card
- Legal guardians are required to provide a Court of Queen's Bench document signed by a judge
- Proof of residence like a mortgage statement, property tax bill or rental agreement