History of Fort Rouge SchoolFebruary 4, 2021
The first Fort Rouge School opened its doors in 1891 on land between River Ave and Mayfair Ave. This land had been donated to the city in 1881 by Mr. A. N. Ross on condition that a school would be built on it when conditions warranted. When it opened on October 5, 1891, Fort Rouge School had four classrooms, 190 students and a staff of four teachers. In breaking with previous tradition, the School Board appointed a woman, Miss Alice Talbot, as the principal.
The second Fort Rouge School was built as a “temporary structure” between 1952 and 1953. Its temporary status lasted until 1989 when the present building was erected.
The school was torn down based on the Reavis Report which recommended either replacing or abandoning Fort Rouge immediately. “... not until August 1954 was a new school commenced by the Gardiner Construction company at a cost of about $43,000. It is situated between the old school and Mayfair Avenue, a one-storey, basementless stucco and brick building with glass brick forming part of the walls to ensure plenty of light. Surveys have led the School Board to believe that the district will become industrialized in ten to fifteen years’ time, so the new school is of a temporary nature only at $10,000 a room compared to the $15,000 standard costs for permanent buildings erected today.” This second building that Mr. Bell refers to was officially opened on November 17, 1953 at a cost of $44,270. In September 1957 four rooms were added at a cost of $67,050. In 1989 the second Fort Rouge school was demolished and made way for a highly modernized structure. This third structure officially opened on October 16, 1989. The present school is 1650 square metres, consisting of seven classrooms, a library, gymnasium, Family room and miscellaneous support space.