English As An Additional LanguageJuly 21, 2022
The English as an Additional Language at École J.B. School provides students, who are learning the English language, opportunities to learn and practice vocabulary in a variety of educational settings. The EAL program at our school seeks to:
- Welcome new families to our school with a tour of the building and explanations of programs and supports that are relevant to that particular student/family.
- Assess new students to determine their English skills levels pertaining to listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Determine the best learning supports for these new students, and whether these supports occur within the classroom or within a small-group setting outside the classroom (dependent on student needs and proficiency in English).
- Provide supports to classroom teachers that help them to meet the needs of diverse learners in their room (ie. learning materials, activities, pictures and other vocabulary-related materials, etc.).
- Collaborate and plan with classroom teachers to assist them in meeting the needs of their students and to provide them with relevant materials.
- Collaborate and plan with educational assistants to determine programming and next steps for students being seen in a classroom setting, or within a small group outside of the classroom.
- Provide students with real-life experiences in the form of field trips, cooking activities, etc. to connect vocabulary learned to the students' lives.
- Provide classroom teachers with materials and strategies that aim to assist students in developing and improving their English-language skills.
- Work with classroom teachers to support the writing of report cards for EAL students and assist in determining next steps for student learning.