School bus safety reminderFebruary 8, 2021
· Flashing yellow lights on the school bus mean the bus is getting ready to stop and load or unload. You need to slow down and get ready to stop.
· Flashing red lights mean the bus has stopped and children are getting on or off. It is illegal to pass a school bus from either direction once it’s stopped and has its lights activated unless there is a physical barrier (such as a median) between your vehicle and the bus.
· As soon as the bus driver turns on the flashing red lights, drivers coming from both directions must immediately stop at least five metres from the bus and remain stopped until the lights stop flashing, the STOP arm folds away and the bus begins to move.
· Be extremely cautious around school buses and remember young children are nearby and move quickly.
· Educate your children about bus safety etiquette:
· Teach them to stay away from the three danger zones – the front, sides and back of the bus by staying at least three meters away from the school bus.
· If children must cross the street, they must never cross behind the school bus, they should seek the driver’s permission, take five giant steps past the front of the bus and make sure the driver has seen them before crossing.
· Teach them to watch for other traffic before crossing the road.
· If children drop something near or under the school bus, they should never attempt to retrieve it without the driver’s permission.
· Ensure that they get to the bus stop at least five minutes before the school bus arrives.
· Teach them to never run after the school bus if they arrive late at the bus stop.
· Teach them to take five giant steps away from the road when the school bus is approaching.
Source: Manitoba Public Insurance