Brock Corydon HistoryJanuary 18, 2023
Brock Corydon School (built in 1950 and opened the following year) was named in honour of Sir Isaac Brock, who led his troops in successfully defending Upper Canada from American invaders in the Battle of 1812 at Queenston Heights on the Niagara frontier. During the engagement, Brock was mortally wounded.
Sir Isaac Brock:
Sir Isaac Brock (1769 - 1812), soldier, was born in the island of Guernsey, on October 6, 1769, the eighth son of John Brock and Elizabeth de Lisle. In 1785 he obtained a commission, by purchase, in the 8th Regiment; and by 1797, at the age of 28, he was lieutenant-colonel of the 49th Regiment. In 1799 - 1801 he saw service in Holland and at Copenhagen; and in 1802 he was sent with his regiment to Canada. Here he was stationed either at Quebec, at Niagara, or at York, until the outbreak of the war of 1812. He was promoted colonel in 1805, and major-general in 1811; and just before the outbreak of hostilities, in 1812, he was appointed president and administrator of Upper Canada. In the early months of the war, he was the heart and soul of the defence of Upper Canada. With brilliant audacity, he captured Detroit on August 15, and on October 13, his troops defeated the American invaders at Queenston Heights on the Niagara frontier. During the engagement, Brock fell, mortally wounded, and died the same day.
• Contractors: Couturs & Toupin
• Contract: $217,082 (actual cost $229,370)
• Sod turned: April 11, 1950 by Campbell Haig
• Opened: February, 1951
• Cornerstone: September, 1950 by Mrs. E.R. Tennant
• No. of rooms: 7 plus general purpose room Addition: April, 1953
• Contractors: L.J. Gardiner Construction Co. Ltd.
• Contract: $81,958 (actual cost $82,365)
• No. of rooms: 5 including two kindergarten classrooms. Additions: 1991/1995
• Predesigned classrooms added to south side of building. Addition: 1998
• Portable classroom added at northeast corner of school, 1999