Room 116 - Nursery/ KindergartenNovember 21, 2022
The Nursery/Kindergarten class has looked a little different this year due to COVID-19 protocols. However, the core still remains at learning through play!
For the 2022/2023 school year, your child can be registered in the nursery program if they were born in 2018, and for the kindergarten program if they were born in 2017.
Through play-based education, our programming covers:
1. Literacy- letter and sound recognition, reading, writing, vocabulary building, rhyming, songs and poems.
2. Numeracy- counting forwards and backwards, patterning, number recognition, addition and math games.
3. Science- trees and the seasons, colours, creating, designing and experimenting with a variety of objects and materials.
4. Fine and gross motor skills- developing stronger muscles and skills for improved writing, cutting, balancing, climbing, throwing, and kicking.
5. Learning behaviours- listening, building relationships, being safe, and becoming independent learners.
What makes Champlain School unique:
*Talk to Me Program- provides one-on-one support to address speech and language goals specifically for the nursery and kindergarten students.
*Champlain Community Child Care Centre- it is attached to school and accepts infants, toddlers and school age children.
*Community Support Worker- facilitates a parent group and workshops, supports families with food security and housing, and builds bridges between the community and school.
*PBIS School- we teach learning behaviours and expectations which are anchored to our school beliefs; Be Safe, Be Respectful and Be Ready to Learn.
*A Focus on Reconciliation - we incorporate many social justice initiatives.
Please view the accompanying Google slide presentation with further information.