Skip to main content

About / History

February 5, 2021

Armistice Day, November 11, 1920 marked the opening of Champlain School. The school was named after Samuel de Champlain (1567 - 1635) French explorer, colonizer and first governor of French Canada, known as the “father of new France” (information from Encyclopedia Britannica).
In October 1920 the school opened and was constructed at a cost of $117,966 by contractor Thos. E. Sharpe. The school was situated down the street from St.John’s School on Machray Avenue. The school was a 2 storey red brick building containing 12 rooms. The school, when opened, accommodated the overflow from the Luxton and Ralph Brown Schools. Only 5 of the rooms were used for the first few months.
In October, 1922 the school’s enrolment numbered 508 with a staff of 12.
On June 13, 1991, a Farewell to Champlain School was held in the old building at 250 Machray Avenue. The school was later demolished; the new school was built on the south end of the same site. In September 1991 students of Champlain School began a new fall term in a new 42,818 sq.ft. building at 275 Church Avenue.

Back to top