Electrical Trades TechnologyFebruary 4, 2021
*Electrical Trades Technology is an off-campus pre-apprenticeship program offered by the Winnipeg School Division and hosted at R.B. Russell Vocational High School.
Individuals working in electrical trades technology play an important role in our economy and society. These individuals plan, assemble, install, repair, test and maintain electrical fixtures and systems that provide heat, light power or control in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. They are able too understand and follow detailed blue prints and documents along with visualizing complex electrical systems. In addition, they are excellent problem solvers and take pride in their work.
The Winnipeg School Division is offering this program in partnership with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW 2085).
The Electrical Trades Technology Program aims to provide the skills, theory and experience needed to start an apprenticeship as a Construction Electrician.
If you Like precision work and are interested in electrical wiring systems and controls, you should consider a career as a construction electrician. Electricians adhere to tightly regulated industry standards for the installation, repair and safety of electrical systems.
The program consists of two full-term semesters of course work. Starting in February, students will attend classes located at two locations. Theory instruction will take place at R.B. Russell Vocational High School and lab instruction will take place at IBEW 2085 located on Notre Dame Avenue. Both semesters combine classroom theory instruction and practical lab training.
Upon completion of the program, students will have earned the following eight vocational credits:
- Introduction to Electrical Trades Technology 20S
- Electrical Trades DC Fundamentals 30S
- Residential Wiring 30S
- Electrical Wiring Methods 30S
- Advanced Residential Wiring 40S
- Electrical Trades AC Fundamentals 40S
- Advanced Electrical Wiring Methods 40S
- Applied Electrical Trades Technology 40S
Requirements to enter the Electrical Trades Technology Program include:
- Currently enrolled in grade 11 or 12 in a Winnipeg School Division school.
- Strong desire to learn and work in the electrical trades.
- Completion of an Off-Campus Pre-Apprenticeship application
- Participation in an interview