HomestaysMay 3, 2021
Homestay Families Wanted
If you are a safe and caring family interested in hosting an international student who is studying high school in Winnipeg School Division (WSD), the WSD International Program wants to talk to you!
A huge part of the success of international students' experience is the connections they make with local, supportive, and caring Canadian homestay families. Your home is where they will live-out the customs and culture of Canada, speaking English or French with you is where they will practice their language skills, and the dinner table is where they will eat the food that Canadians enjoy. When students have completed their studies, the homestay experience is what they often remember, and where most of their fondest memories have been made.
WSD International is looking for homestay families to welcome students from around the world for periods of:
- A full school year
- One semester (five months)
- Short-term (three to four months)
- Temporary stays (for example, a weekend)
If you have children living at home, if you are a single, if you are retired, if you have pets or if you don't… we are looking for all kinds of homestay families! The most important qualities of homestay families are that they are caring, responsible, positive, and prepared to welcome a student into their home. Homestay families provide:
- A safe, comfortable, and friendly home where the language spoken is English or French
- A bedroom with a window, bed and linens, a dresser, lamp and a place to study
- Access to a bathroom and laundry facilities
- Three nutritious and well-balanced meals every day, as well as snacks
- High speed internet and access to WiFi
- A willingness to share Canadian culture and our local Winnipeg attractions.
Families must have a clear Winnipeg Police Service Police Record Check/Police Vulnerable Sector Check, as well as a clear Child Abuse Registry Check. Homestay families will receive a generous monthly reimbursement allowance to offset expenses of hosting an international student.