Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

October 25, 2023

Q. How do I apply?

A. Students can apply directly or through a representative or an agent by accessing the application form and processing information on the Application page 

Q. Can I apply online?

A. WSD International only accepts complete applications through our secure online system. Applications submitted by mail, email, or fax will not be accepted, and applications submitted by students will not be considered.

Q. What documents do I include with my application? 


  • Original or certified copies of transcripts or school records from the past two (2) years, translated into English. Photocopies of transcripts must be certified with a school stamp. 
  • A letter of recommendation from a school official
  • A recent high-resolution photograph of the student
  • A copy of the passport photo information page
  • Signed Participation Agreement Waiver
  • Upon processing your application, additional documents may be required

Q. How much does your program cost?

A. You may find this information on the  Application tab under Fees and Refunds Information

Q. I am a Canadian citizen whose parents live abroad. Do I still pay international student fees?

A. If both of your parents are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents and reside permanently within the Winnipeg School Division, you will not be required to pay the international student fees. However, you must pay the international fees if your parents are Canadian citizens but do not live in Winnipeg.

Q. Do I need a Study Permit?

A. As of 15 March 2021, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, all students require a Study Permit. If you apply/attend on a visitor visa and want to extend your studies, you may be required to leave Canada to apply for a Study Permit.

Q. How do I renew my study permit and/or visitor visa?

A.  WSD International staff are not authorized to provide any immigration-related advice. For information on renewing your Study Permit and Visa, you may visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website

Q. What accommodation is provided? 

A. WSD International has no student dormitory or residence. All students who require accommodation may be placed with an approved homestay family.  You may find more information about our Homestay program here: WSD International Homestay

Q. Can I arrange my own accommodation?

A. Yes, but all students who do not live with a Canadian homestay family arranged by WSD International must stay with a family at least 25 years old. This family member must assume custodial responsibility. WSD International must approve all independent living accommodations. Once approved, both notarized copies of the Independent Custodianship Form must be submitted to WSD International.

Q. Do you charge a homestay placement fee?

A. No. Homestay placement and custodianship are included in the homestay fee.

Q. What type of medical insurance coverage will I receive?

A. Medical insurance is mandatory for all international students. WSD International partners with GuardMe insurance. For information about GuardMe insurance, here: Guard.Me Insurance

Q. Where are you located?

A. The Winnipeg School Division is in the heart of the City of Winnipeg, located in the Province of Manitoba, Canada. Please visit the Winnipeg School Division website for in-depth information about the Winnipeg School Division. You may learn more about Winnipeg here: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Q. How many students are in the Winnipeg School Division?

A. The Winnipeg School Division is the largest in Manitoba, with 78 schools and over 33,000 students. Each year, they welcome students from various countries.


Q. What makes the Winnipeg School Division special?

A. The Winnipeg School Division is the largest and oldest division in Manitoba. It has a rich history of diversity and inclusion, welcoming international students, newcomers, and refugees. The city's ESL/EAL programs effectively integrate language learning into the academic curriculum, providing students with a comprehensive education.

Back to top