Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

April 25, 2021

Q. How do I apply?
Students may apply directly or through a representative. Look for the application form and information about the process under Our Application.

Q. Can I apply online?
A. We require parent and student signatures. All application forms must be printed and signed. Signed forms can be scanned and emailed, mailed, or couriered to the school division. An application must be complete before it can be processed. Incomplete applications will not be processed. 

Q. What documents do I include with my application? 
A. complete application means:

  • A completed and signed application form
  • Original or certified copies of transcripts or school records from the past two (2) years, translated into English. Photocopies of transcripts must be certified with a school stamp.
  • A letter of recommendation from a school official
  • A recent photograph of the student
  • A copy of the passport photo information page

Q. How much does your program cost?
A. Look for current Fees information under "Our Application".

Q. I am a Canadian citizen whose parents live abroad, do I still pay international student fees?
A. If your parents are also Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents and your parents live permanently in the Winnipeg School Division, then you are not required to pay the international student fees. If your parents are Canadian, but do not live in Winnipeg, then you must pay international fees.

Q. Do I need a Study Permit?
A. As of 15 March 2021 according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, all students require a Study Permit. If you apply/attend on a visitor visa and want to extend your studies, then you may be required to leave Canada to apply for a Study Permit.

Q. How do I renew my study permit and/or my visitor visa?
A.  Winnipeg School Division staff cannot provide immigration-related advice. Information on Study Permit and Visa renewals can be found on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website at If you would like the assistance from an immigration agency or authorized immigration consultant, please contact the Program Director for a referral. Agencies charge a fee for their service.

Q. What accommodation is provided? 
A. Winnipeg School Division does not have a student dormitory or residence. All students who require accommodation may be placed with an approved homestay family.

Q. Can I arrange my own accommodation?
A. Yes, but all students who do not live with a Canadian homestay family arranged by the program must stay with a family where a member of the family has a minimum age of 35 years. This family member must assume custodial responsibility. All independent accommodations must be approved by the Program Director. Please remember to send both notarized copies of the Custodian Form to the program.

Q. Do you charge a homestay placement fee?
A. No. Homestay placement and custodianship is included in the homestay fee.

Q. What type of medical insurance coverage will I receive?
A. Medical insurance is mandatory for all international students. The Winnipeg School Division partners with GuardMe insurance. For information about GuardMe insurance, look under the Our Partners tab.

Q. Where are you located?
A. The Winnipeg School Division is located in the centre of the City of Winnipeg in the Province of Manitoba, Canada. For more information about the school division and the city, look for the Home page.

Q. How many students are in Winnipeg School Division?
A. We are the largest division in the Province of Manitoba. Approximately 33,000 students attend 78 schools. Every year Winnipeg hosts students from countries around the world.

Q. What makes the Winnipeg School Division special?
A. Winnipeg is the largest and oldest division in the Province of Manitoba. It has a history of diversity and inclusion, which includes international students as well as newcomer and refugees. Its ESL/EAL programs are excellent examples of the integration of language learning into academic curriculum.

Back to top