Bilingual Ojibwe ProgramDecember 2, 2022
The Winnipeg School Division is proud offer an Ojibwe Bilingual Program exclusively at Isaac Brock School. Students may enter the program in Kindergarten or Grade 1.
The Kindergarten to Grade 6 Ojibwe program centres around ancestral teachings of the Grandmother Moon and the thirteen moons she carries. The programs have a land-based component as this is an important part of language learning. Culturally, there is a strong connection to the land and all the life it encompasses. In the Kindergarten Program, students will be fully immersed in the Ojibwe language. Grade 1 and up is bilingual with 50% of instruction in Ojibwe and 50% in English.
All programs will follow Provincial Curricular Outcomes.
Land-Based Ojibwe Bilingual Programs
- Kindergarten to Grade 6
- 13 Moons on the Turtle's Back LInguistic Program
- Indigenous guide of our relationship to our Mother Earth
- In-School Lodge Ceremonial/Smudging Room
- Elder connections
- Suitable for children and families who do not speak Ojibwe or who are fluent in the language
Bussing is provided, (home and/or daycare address must be in the Winnipeg School Division and more that 1.6 km from the school).
Students in the Ojibwe and Cree programs who are bussed to the school are supervised in classrooms over the lunch hour at no additional cost.
How do I register my child?
- Manitoba Medical card listing the child and parent(s) name
- your child's birth certificate, certificate of live birth, Canadian passport or Treaty Card
- Legal guardians are required to provide a Court of Queen's Bench document signed by a judge
- Proof of residence like a mortgage statement, property tax bill or rental agreement