Skip to main content

Student Registrations and Enrolment

March 7, 2023

Secretary-Treasurer’s Department Student Registrations and Enrolment Section

The non-resident section is responsible for the reporting of all non-resident students attending a Winnipeg School Division in grades N-12, and the collection of fees payable.
The Enrolment section of the Secretary Treasurer’s Department is responsible for the verification and reporting of all students attending a WSD School and/or Program, each September 29, to the Department of Education. WSD is required to report student data in accordance with the Public School Enrolment and Categorical Grants Reporting instruction booklet.

Temporary Resident Registration

If you have any questions about temporary resident registration, please contact by email or by phone 204-789-0489

The office is open 12 months of the year, excluding statutory holidays.
Please contact us for an appointment. 

Every temporary resident family must provide the following documents for student registration: 

  • Student’s valid Visitor Record or Student Permit 
  • Parent/Guardian’s valid Work Permit or Student Permit 
    • If parent/guardian is here on a Student Permit proof of enrolment in classes for the current school year 
    • To qualify for a tuition-fee exemption, courses must be at the post-secondary level and at least six months in length
  • Student & parent’s/guardian’s passports 
  • Student’s birth certificate (English translation is preferred) 
  • Proof of address 
  • Proof of valid health insurance 
    • If ineligible for Manitoba Health or the card has not arrived private insurance must be purchased that is valid to the next natural break in the school year 
    • Extended Health Benefits through a parent’s/guardian’s employer does not provide basic health coverage and is not a suitable replacement for Manitoba Health 
    • Students without valid insurance or that has expired will be asked to stay home until it is renewed 

International Students

For information on our International Education Program, please see the link to the International Education Program website. You can contact the International Education Program at 204-789-8086 or

International Students website:

Non-resident Nursery Students

Children must turn four by December 31 of the current school year and live with their legal guardian within the boundaries of Winnipeg School Division in order to be registered for Nursery. The entire cost is funded by WSD via the education special levy on property taxes. Non-Resident students are not allowed to access the Nursery Program without paying a non-resident fee. The fee is payable by the parent/legal guardian. Please contact by email or by telephone 204-789-0489 for fees and procedure.

If a student registers and begins a nursery program in September as a resident and moves outside of WSD during the school year, fees are payable for the remainder of the school year (effective from the move date). Please contact non-resident clerk at 204-789-0489, or by email to


Frequently Asked Questions

Back to top