Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

April 5, 2024

General How-To's

How do I register my child for school in WSD? 

To check where your child will be attending school, look at the list of schools in your catchment area using the find a school app. Go to the appropriate school website and click on the top banner link: School Registration Information and follow the steps. 

At the time of registration, you are required to attend the school in person and provide the following documents: 

  • Proof of address (most current property tax bill, utility bill)
  • Your child's birth certificate (certificate of live birth, statutory declaration, Canadian Passport or Treaty Card)
  • Legal guardians (Court of Queen's Bench document signed by a judge)
  • Non-citizens are required to provide one of the following: 
    • Landed Immigrant (permanent residence) documents 
    • Parent’s work permit (that states you are allowed to work in Manitoba), Child’s student/visitor permit and proof of address within the WSD boundaries. 
    • Study Permit (that states you are allowed to study in Manitoba), proof of enrolment and payment for courses, Child’s student/visitor permit and proof of address within the WSD boundaries.
    • Refugee Status: Refugee Protection Claimant Document

Note: if you have none of the above but have made application for permanent residency, you are considered a visitor and therefore must pay tuition fees.

We live within WSD boundaries. Do my children need to go to the school within the catchment area where we live? 

Please contact your catcehment area school to discuss you child's programming needs.

I do not live within the boundaries of WSD. Can my child attend a school in Winnipeg School Division? 

A non-resident student may be admitted to a WSD school, provided there is space available in the class or school. 

If the student is accepted as a non-resident student the school will have the parent/guardian fill out the two School of Choice forms: the Application for Registration of a School-Age Non-resident Student form and the Application Form for Transfer to a School of Choice. 

The priority for accepting students is as follows: 

  1. Resident students from within the local catchment area; 
  2. Resident students from other school catchment areas; 
  3. Resident students aged 21 years and over; 
  4. Non-resident students aged 5 to 20 years; 
  5. Temporary resident students 
  6. Non-resident students aged 21 years and over (fees applicable). 

Non-resident students must register before September 30.

What to do I do if I have a problem at my child's school?

Problems can arise but can be solved by open discussion. Our schools are a community and everyone is part of making it a safe and welcoming environment.

If you have a problem:

  • First talk to the Teacher.
  • If you can't resolve the issue – talk to the Principal.
  • If the issue is still not settled – talk to the Assistant Superintendent for your child's school. To reach a Assistant Superintendent, contact the Superintendents' office at 204-775-0231 and indicate what school you are calling about.

If these steps don't help you resolve the issue – then you should contact the Board and Community Liaison Officer who will work with you and the Board of Trustees to find a solution.

We all have the same goal in Winnipeg School Division – to see your child succeed. Let's work together!

I am looking for a school for my child. How can I find information about the various programs schools provide?

  • You can look at a list of Winnipeg School Division (WSD) offerings in the Education Services section of this website or check out the various school websites. You are also very welcome to call school principals to ask for a meeting and school tour.

How can I find out when my child’s school will have non-instructional days?

  • WSD schools have eight common inservice days throughout the year. These eight days are the same for every school in WSD and can be found on the calendar on the home page of this website as well as the calendar of each school.
  • In addition, the schools have two more inservice days during the year that they can schedule at any time and are communicated to parents/guardians by the school in their newsletter, on their website or in a notice sent home to parents.

Will my child have to go outside for recess when it is very cold outside?

  • Students stay indoors for recess when the wind chill reaches -28 degrees Celsius.

How do I know if school buses have been cancelled on mornings when the wind chill is very high?  

  • During the school year there may be times when school bus transportation is cancelled due to inclement weather or poor driving conditions, but schools will remain open.
  • School bus transportation for all school divisions in the City of Winnipeg is cancelled:
    • A. If the actual temperature is -35°C (regardless of windchill) based on the 6:00 a.m. Environment Canada reading at the Forks, Winnipeg or;
    • B. If the wind chill reaches -45°C  (regardless of air temperature) based on the 6:00 a.m. Environment Canada readings at the Forks, Winnipeg.
  • The temperature and windchill readings can be found at the Environment Canada website (click here for latest readings at The Forks). When bus transportation is cancelled in the morning, it will not resume later in the day even if weather conditions improve.
  • All major Winnipeg media outlets are contacted in the early morning to ask that they broadcast and/or post bus cancellation information. You can hear it on radio, see on radio/tv/newspaper websites or morning television news programs. It is also posted on the home page of this website 

When is spring break?  

  • Spring break always starts on the last Monday in March.

Back to top