READ TO ME: (2016 – on going)
Read to Me is a reading framework supported by the Winnipeg School Division that focuses on teaching beginning literacy – phonological awareness, alphabetic principles, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension in our primary grades. The framework is designed to meet the literacy needs of each student. Our Reading Clinician who specializes in reading/writing strategies, and interventions, works with the Mulvey Classroom Teachers, Support Teachers, as well as the Educational Assistants collaboratively to specifically program for individual student literacy goals. The framework includes literacy lessons, decoding strategies, word work, writing opportunities, and more. This framework is having a positive impact on student literacy and the social emotional well being of our students.
- IMPROVED STUDENT LITERACY OUTCOMES
- ONGOING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR ALL STAFF INVOLVED IN READ TO ME
- ONGOING PARENT/GUARDIAN ENGAGEMENT IN LITERACY DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR CHILDREN
- Equity, human rights, social justice, children have the right to be literate, successful students.
- Strong, effective curricular classroom instruction.
- Level II and III interventions that supplement excellent instruction, not replace it.
- Development and implementation of sustainable systematic change that results in the identified goals.
- Well trained staff who have clear direction and job satisfaction on witnessing student growth both in the academic and social/emotional domains.
- Co-teaching model of teaching and learning where mentoring/coaching/modeling is ongoing.
All tiers of literacy instruction are implemented with individual learning needs of students in mind. Intentional instruction is planned collaboratively with the whole literacy team including: Classroom Teachers, Reading Clinician, Support Teachers, Inclusive Education Resource Teacher, and Administration.
Instructional Framework for Daily Tier 1 Instruction
- Small-group differentiated reading instruction framework, which includes phonological awareness and phonics (word study), vocabulary development, fluency, and comprehension.
- Alphabet Anchor Chart, Blends & Digraphs Anchor Chart, Other Vowel Combinations Anchor Chart study.
- High frequency word study.
- Word mapping.
- Whole class instruction.
Instructional Framework for Daily Tier 2 Instruction
- Tier 2 instruction meets student individual needs using the best materials and approaches most efficiently. These include but are not limited to: Touch Phonics, Parker Phonics, Fountas and Pinnell, Decodable Texts, comprehension discussions and various games and activities which align with the latest brain research on how skills of reading are acquired.
Instructional Framework for Tier 3 Instruction
- Reading Clinician instruction